When you smile, do you ever think that your teeth look short, or that too much of your gums show? If so, you may be suffering from a condition that is known as having a “gummy smile.” A gummy smile, or excessive gingival display, is a condition that causes the aesthetic appeal of your smile to decline. However, like many other dental health issues, a gummy smile is treatable. After you receive treatment, you should notice an improvement in the appearance of your smile.
There are several factors that can play a role in your smile appearing gummy. These include:
- How much of your gum tissue displays during your smile
- The size, shape, and positioning of your teeth
- Your upper lip
- The position of your upper jaw
Below, Dr. Mitchel S. Godat lists several reasons why you may have a gummy smile:
- If your teeth did not grow in properly, your gums may be covering them and causing them to appear much shorter than normal
- You may have a family history of small teeth
- Your upper lip may rise higher than normal when you smile and reveal more of your gums. This occurs as a result of an issue with your lip muscles
- It is possible that your jaw bone developed incorrectly, and the protrusion is pushing down your gum tissue
Do you have a gummy smile? If so, make sure you stay tuned to our blog as, in our next post, Dr. Godat will discuss treatment options for a gummy smile.
Do you need a periodontist in the Memphis area?
If you are in need of a periodontist, or would like to receive treatment for your gummy smile, we welcome you to contact us today to schedule a visit to our office in Memphis, TN.
If you would like to receive more information like this, like us on Facebook!