We all need saliva to moisten and cleanse our mouths and digest food. Saliva also prevents infection by controlling bacteria and fungi in the mouth. When we don’t produce enough saliva, our mouth gets dry and uncomfortable. While sipping water may help, it doesn’t lubricate and protect the way saliva does. Fortunately, Biotene products are a very effective treatment for dry mouth.
Causes Of Dry Mouth
- Side effects of certain medications
- Side effects of certain diseases and infections such as Sjögren’s syndrome, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, anemia, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and mumps.
- Side effects of certain medical treatments such as damage to the salivary glands as well as radiation to the head and neck and chemotherapy treatments for cancer.
- Nerve damage: Dry mouth can be a result of nerve damage to the head and neck area from an injury or surgery.
- Dehydration: Conditions that lead to dehydration, such as fever, excessive sweating, vomiting, diarrhea, blood loss, and burns can cause dry mouth.
- Lifestyle: Smoking or chewing tobacco can affect saliva production and aggravate dry mouth. Continuously breathing with your mouth open can also contribute to the problem.
Symptoms Of Dry Mouth
- A sticky, dry feeling in the mouth.
- Frequent thirst.
- Sores in the mouth; sores at the corners of the mouth; cracked lips.
- A dry feeling in the throat.
- A burning or tingling sensation in the mouth, especially on the tongue.
- A dry, red, raw tongue.
- Problems speaking or difficulty tasting, chewing, or swallowing.
- Bad breath.
Why Is Dry Mouth A Problem
Besides causing the aggravating symptoms mentioned above, dry mouth also increases a person’s risk of gum disease, tooth decay, and mouth infections, such as thrush (oral fungal infection). Dry mouth can also make it difficult to wear dentures.
Biotene Manages Dry Mouth In 3 Ways
The Biotene system with its protein enzyme formulations, offers products in each of the 3 management areas:
- Sooth and Moisturize: Only Biotene offers the choice of an oral portable spray for on the go comfort, a soothing liquid and an effective gel that offers relief, especially at night.
- Daily Cleaning: Only Biotene has 2 mouthwashes to reduce bad breath, and 3 cavity preventing fluoride toothpastes that are specifically designed for dry mouth sufferers. Plus there products are alcohol free.
- Saliva Stimulation: To help stimulate salivary flow throughout the day, Biotene provides 2 breath refreshing gums.
If you have oral dryness or one or more of the above mentioned dry mouth symptoms, consult a health professional. Only your doctor or dentist can determine the causes and the right course of treatment for your dry mouth. In the meantime, I highly recommend you give the entire line of Biotene products a try to help provide fast and easy dry mouth relief.