Periodontal Accelerated Osteogeneic Orthodontics (PAOO/Wilckodonitcs)
Wilckodontics combines orthodontic (tooth movement) and periodontal procedures to obtain the most ideal orthodontic result.
Wilckodontics combines orthodontic (tooth movement) and periodontal procedures to obtain the most ideal orthodontic result. Drs. Godat and Craddock are the only Periodontists certified to perform Wilckodontic procedures in the MidSouth and have been performing these procedures since 2002.
The major benefit of Wilckodontics is the prevention of periodontal problems by creating sufficient bone in areas where bone is usually very thin or lacking. In other words, having a strong bone foundation should prevent from having periodontal problems (gum recession, furcation invasion, etc.) long term.
Benefits of Wilckodontics:
- Less time in braces (quicker treatment)
- Rapid tooth movement
- More bone to support teeth long term
- Less cost than orthognathic surgery
- No hospital visit as with orthognathic surgery
- Less periodontal problems around teeth long term
- Less loss of gum tissue (recession)
- Less furcation invasion
- Less root resorption (root resorption can occur with conventional braces)
- Less relapse (movement of teeth back to prior position) Relapse commonly occurs with orthodontics. This is why wearing a retainer is important after treatment to prevent migration of teeth away from the ideal position.
If needed. sedation can be used to keep you comfortable and relaxed.
Wilckodontics can be used with Invisalign to move teeth without wearing brackets and archwires.
Wilckodontics can also be used with Temporary Anchorage Devices (TADs) to aid in tooth movement.